I am the anti-attorney. I buck the system at every turn because I believe the system is broken. I have seen the old way of dictating to families and business owners how their plans should work. I've seen how attorneys run roughshod over clients. Enough is enough.
I want to protect my family. I want to know the rules and the options. I want to decide what is best and understand the documents I sign. I want to work with my advisors, not be a victim. I want things to be as easy as possible on my family when I can no longer take care of them.
I believe most people feel the same way. That's why I started Grunden Law Office, LLC. My goal is to make the estate planning process easy and comfortable by explaining the rules of the road; offering advice; empowering my clients to protect their families; delivering a complete plan that accomplishes their goals; and follow-up to be there as thing change.
No fluff. No confusing legal jargon. My passion is to build lasting client relationships with clients who feel they have real choices and understand how their plan works. Help when it's needed and periodic reviews to ensure a lasting legacy. Security and comfort in knowing it's taken care of. That's my passion and my promise.
April formed Grunden Law Office, LLC in 2002 in order to provide a new brand of legal services to Northeastern Indiana. Raised in Leo, Indiana, April graduated from Leo High School in 1987. She received a bachelor's degree in Education from Indiana University in 1994, and a law degree from Valparaiso School of Law in 1997. April clerked for the Honorable Nancy Eshcoff Boyer and the Honorable Paul D. Mathias in Allen Superior Court following law school. After trying both the large and small firm experience, April set out to start a firm that would break the mold of cookie cutter hourly rate legal services.
- Allen County Bar Association, 1998-Present
- Probate Section Chair 2007-2009
- Indiana State Bar Association, 1998-Present
- Probate & Corporate Law Sections
- Wealth Counsel, 2014-2016
- National Network of Estate Planning Attorneys, 2007-2009
- Fort Wayne Estate Planning Council, 1997-1999 & 2007-2010
- Benjamin Harrison Inns of Court, 2001-2002
- Member of Council on Senior Services for Allen County
- National Health Care Decisions Day, 2009-Present
- Indiana State Liaison 2009
- Allen Superior Court, Mental Health Commitment, 2007-Present
- Pro Bono Counsel for Petitioner/County/State
- Northeast Indiana Volunteer Lawyer Program, 2007-2012
- Board Member, 2007-2012
- Northeast Indiana/Allen County Guardianship Council, 2008-2010
- Adult Protective Services, Allen County, 1998-2007
- Pro Bono Counsel for Petitioner/Guardian Ad Litem
- Toys for Tots and Allen County Christmas Bureau, 2009-Present
- Coordinate Christmas drives for Summit CPA Group and Grunden Law Office, LLC
- “Don't Leave Difficult Decisions for Your Loved Ones,” various presentations to local credit union membership and chapters, 2015-present
- “How To Plan for Incapacity,” NBI Continuing Education Seminar, 2010
- “2005-2008 Indiana Probate Legislative Update,” co-presenter with Magistrate Phillip Houk of Allen Superior Court, Fort Wayne Estate Planning Council, 2008
- “Business Succession Planning: What Happens if You're No Longer the Boss?” Business People, June, 2008
- “When Does Your Client Need a Trust?” ICLEF Continuing Education Seminar, Fort Wayne, 2007
- “Business Succession Planning: Buy-Sell Agreements,” NAIFA Annual Meeting, Fort Wayne, 2001
- “Limits of Zealous Representation,” Benjamin Harrison American Inns of Court Meeting, Fort Wayne, 2001
- “Medical Malpractice Guidelines: Sword or Shield?” Midwest Medical Research Foundation Annual Conference, Fort Wayne, 1995
"I have met with many attorneys in my lifetime and felt inferior in almost every way - afraid to ask a dumb question, not completely understanding the legal verbiage, not self-assured enough to know exactly that I needed or wanted. Well, I'm very happy to write that I've found an amazing attorney and staff member in April Grunden and Christie Browning. The were very hospitable individuals, extremely knowledgeable, eager to adjust to my personality, have the unusual ability to listen and answer questions, quick to meet my needs, and had wonderful sense of humor. Best of all, they were informative. I received an education concerning my estate-planning endeavors. I actually knew what was legally put in place and why. I have been so excited about my new 'attorney find' that I've told many friends about my pleasant experience at Grunden Law Office, LLC." – Cherryll